We are accepting applications for a Summer Animal Care Intern! If you want to work with animals, this is a fantastic opportunity to learn about animal care and veterinary medicine. This unpaid position is for 3 summer months (mid May or early June to mid to late August) and includes on-site housing.
The Animal Care Intern reports to the Animal Care Manager and will be responsible for assisting with several aspects of daily animal care, including:
- Lovingly providing food and water for animals
- Meticulously cleaning barn and stalls
- Participating in hoof trimming, sheep shearing, equine dentistry, and similar appointments
- Helping to maintain grounds and pastures
- Helping to maintain the sanctuary garden
- Working with volunteers
- Leading tours and helping with events
- Advocating for veganism
- Assisting in maintaining records for each individual animal
This is a dirty job involving heavy physical labor. It is also intense, emotionally challenging work. Our work culture is mutually supportive, inclusive, warm-hearted, and driven by passion for our mission and a very strong work ethic.
If you are the right person for the internship and give it your all, you will have limitless potential. You will love this internship if you are a very hard worker, truly love other animals and are committed wholeheartedly to their liberation.
The ideal candidate is:
- Committed to and passionate about Indraloka’s mission, vision, and values
- Experienced in caring for rescued farmed animals
- Able to carry 50 pounds or more
- Able to work outside in every weather extreme
- Happy working in solitude, but also comfortable working with others
- Able to work independently
- Able to understand and precisely follow oral and written directions
- Extremely observant and able to notice and communicate subtle changes in animals’ appearance and behavior
- Able to fix and sometimes build things
- Terrific with humans, and will enjoy giving tours and helping out with events
- Open-minded and willing to learn (even when new information contradicts previously held beliefs)
- Committed to personal responsibility
- An excellent communicator, both orally and in writing
- Able to work in a busy and ever-changing environment
- Calm under pressure
- An ardent advocate for veganism
- Committed to environmental responsibility
Additionally, the candidate must have a valid driver’s license, pass criminal history, child abuse, and FBI clearances, and be willing to work long hours including weekends, some holidays, and possible overnights.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.