Development and Operations Assistant Job Description
This is your chance to work for a globally and nationally accredited sanctuary for farmed animals. Our mission is to provide heaven on earth for farm animals with nowhere else to turn. We inform, inspire, and empower the community, especially children, on ways in which we can better care for ourselves and the environment while helping animals in need. We advocate for a kind and compassionate lifestyle that protects animals, the earth, and our own health. The Development and Operations Assistant will be a key part of bringing our mission to life every day.
This is a varied, fast-paced position requiring time management skills and the ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects simultaneously. The ideal Development and Operations Assistant will have excellent organizational and communication skills as well as a gift for developing authentic, warm interpersonal relationships. The Development and Operations Assistant reports directly to the Director of Development.
S/he will work jointly with the Director of Development to manage fundraising and outreach projects that support the offices of Development, Operations, Outreach, and Animal Caregiving. This work will support the implementation of fundraising strategies, policies, and practices. The Development and Operations Assistant will interact with donors, sanctuary guests, and members of the community.
In addition, the Development and Operations Assistant will provide administrative support to the Director of Operations that includes, but is not limited to, donation processing, volunteer management support, answering phones and emails, and managing merchandise inventory.
- Provide administrative support.
- Act as the first point of contact for public inquiries via telephone, email, and social media messages.
- Answer and field phone calls, directing to the appropriate team member when necessary.
- Monitor various sanctuary email boxes, respond, and/or direct inquiries to the appropriate team member.
- Monitor and post on social media according to the predetermined calendar.
- Attend/participate in staff meetings and other meetings as needed; prepare agendas and take notes.
- Take on special projects as needed.
- Assist with event preparation, including researching venues, ordering food, coordinating vendor payment, set-up, and clean-up.
- Maintain and review the website and make necessary changes.
- Monitor and maintain the online store including inventory ordering, management and shipping of merchandise to customers.
- Preparing periodic reports including weekly revenue numbers, sales figures and social media impact.
- Check and document scanning.
- Mail sorting, filing.
- Creating and maintaining various operational/organizational forms, documents, workbooks.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires that s/he represent Indraloka well by being ethical, responsible, kind, interpersonally effective, punctual and motivated to go above and beyond the call of duty. S/he must also be highly detail-oriented and organized with excellent problem-solving abilities, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Passion for the mission required.
- Kindness and compassion for all life is required.
- The ability to advocate effectively for a plant-based, cruelty-free lifestyle is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 1+ years of experience working in an administrative support capacity, preferably within non-profit organizations.
- Proficiency using Google, Microsoft Office, MAC suite applications and social media platforms.
- Comfort and ease transitioning a team to and working in, a paperless technology-driven environment.
- Exceptional at maintaining organizational systems and order.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in a demanding, fast-paced environment managing multiple responsibilities and projects simultaneously and sometimes independently.
- Ability to prioritize, follow up, problem solve, execute sound judgment and multitask effectively.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners to manage the scope, strategy, requirements, and implementation of projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative style.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace is necessary.
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced, yet very informal community environment.
- Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle/transportation are required.
- Criminal history, child abuse, and FBI clearances required.
- Willing to work flexible hours including weekends, and some holidays.
- Able to work in an environment with exposure to common allergens including nuts, soy, seeds, as well as bees, wasps, and other insects.
Compensation and Details
This position begins immediately and will function remotely and on-site at the sanctuary as needed. The Development and Operations Assistant is a full-time, hourly position. This position is eligible for benefits.
Job Type: Full-time
This job description is subject to change at any time.