The Facilities Specialist reports to the Manager of Animal Care. The position is a hands-on position
and is responsible for the physical upkeep, beautification, and maintenance of the buildings,
grounds, and pastures of the 94-plus acres of Indraloka.
The primary aim of the position is to ensure a clean, beautiful, peaceful, and safe environment for the staff, visitors, and beloved animals at the sanctuary.
● Creating and maintaining an organized workflow
● Ensuring that buildings and grounds are kept organized, clean, tidy, and safe at all times
● Beautifying buildings and grounds with flowers, shrubs, trees, etc.
● Repairing, and/or building fences, and various other structures
● Installing and/or repairing mechanical, electrical, and plumbing
● Operating and maintaining tractors, mowers, trucks, trailers and other equipment
● Preparing facilities and grounds for changing weather conditions
● Identifying and securing supplies and materials needed, and maintaining inventory
● Communicating and reporting on maintenance, repairs, and safety for buildings, fences,
grounds and pastures
● Collaborating with sanctuary management on budgeting and facilities needs
● Preparing for events
● Assisting animal care staff as needed
● Transporting animals in a horse trailer
● Other duties as assigned
● Committed to and passionate about Indraloka’s vision and values
● 2-5 years of experience in maintaining buildings, grounds, and pastures
● Able to work outside in every weather extreme
● Able to repair and build things
● Plumbing and electrical experience is helpful
● Knowledge of OSHA and other environmental regulations
● Happy working in solitude, but also comfortable working with others
● Comfortable and caring around animals, and mindful of their needs
● Able to work independently
● Able to understand and precisely follow oral and written directions
● Observant and able to notice and communicate issues and propose solutions
● An excellent communicator, both orally and in writing
● An excellent listener, and one who listens more than speaks
● Able to work in a busy and ever-changing environment
● Calm under pressure
● Effective advocate for plant-based living and compassion
● Committed to environmental responsibility
● Valid driver’s license and personal transportation
This is a dirty job that requires significant, heavy physical labor
● Regular exposure to common food allergens (nuts, soy, and seeds) as well as bees, wasps,
and other insects
● Potential exposure to environmental factors such as temperature variations, animal waste,
hazardous materials, sharp objects
● Repetitive motions such as hammering
● Standing, sitting, or walking for hours or whole shifts at a time
● Repeatedly lifting 75 pounds or more
● Working outside in all weather conditions
● Being agile and quick in order to work safely and well around large, agile, quick animals.
Additionally, the candidate must pass criminal history, child abuse, and FBI clearances, and be
willing to work long hours, including weekends and some holidays.
Hours and Location:
This position is a part-time, hourly position that could also be filled by an independent contractor.
The typical workweek will average 20-25 hours per week. Weekends and some Holiday work is required.
This job is onsite in Dalton, PA
Compensation and Start date:
Starting pay is between $15 to $17 / hour, commensurate with experience.
Start Date is immediately.
Send resume and cover letter to